Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Progress

Today felt like a really productive day. Do you ever have those? When the sun shines through the windows, the kids want to sit and learn, meals turn out well, and the world just seems cheery? Yeah, one of those days.

We did writing first. We're just starting week 23 out of 36, so we're chugging along nicely. I have noticed that Sweet Pea prefers the days where all she has to do for this is copy sentences- even though I usually make her do a little diagramming. She's less fond of narration, still. I'm toying with the idea of some simple dictation once a week or so. By simple I mean really, really simple- along the lines of, "The rat sat and slept." We'll see.

After that we did math. We finally finished lesson 12 in Earlybird- days of the week. It should not have taken a full week to do this, but for whatever reason it did. I'm not going to say too much more about that because it will interfere with the sunshine and roses I'm trying to spread here today. We also did another page in Math Mammoth. This was Sweet Pea's first foray into word/story problems, and I think she did really well! I really liked it because it's a chance to read and do math simultaneously. She was more interested in the little puzzle squares at the bottom. Oh, well.


After math, we took a long break- a really long one! We had playtime, lunch, afternoon quiet time, and more playtime before school resumed.

We did the next section in spelling from our McGuffey's book. I still haven't thought of any genius exercises to go along with the word lists, but it doesn't seem to be too big a deal yet.


We wrapped it all up with another lesson in phonics and then taking turns reading some Winnie-the-Pooh to Little Bird.
And we were done. :)

And on the planning front I think I've narrowed down that next year we'll try Rod and Staff's English and Spelling. Relief!

1 comment:

  1. I love those productive days! We had several this week, though I think Tuesday was probably the best of them all. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails